What is HNWIS
Established by the Scottish Government through Scottish Enterprise and Highlands and Islands Enterprise, the Hydro Nation Water Innovation Service (HNWIS) identifies innovative Scottish companies, particularly SMEs, and supports them along the innovation path to commercialisation. HNWIS provides dynamic, proactive support and opportunities for innovative businesses in Scotland to create and grow sustainable solutions for the global water and wastewater sector.
HNWIS is part of the Hydro Nation Strategy published by the Scottish Government in 2012 and has been designed to support economic growth for Scotland through fostering innovation in the water industry, promoting partnering across industry on water-related initiatives.
- The Scottish Government is the devolved government for Scotland and has its headquarters at St Andrew’s House, Regent Road, Edinburgh EH1 3DG https://www.gov.scot/privacy/
- Scottish Enterprise (SE) and Highlands and Islands Enterprise (HIE) are Scotland’s economic development agencies and non-departmental public bodies of the Scottish Government. SE has its headquarters at Atrium Court, 50 Waterloo Street, Glasgow G2 6HQ https://www.scottish-enterprise.com/help/privacy-notice. HIE has its headquarters at Highlands and Islands Enterprise, An Lòchran, 10 Inverness Campus, Inverness, IV2 5N http://www.hie.co.uk/about-hie/policies-and-publications/privacy-statement.html
- Scottish Development International attracts inward investment to Scotland and assists Scottish-based companies to trade overseas and has its headquarters at 5 Atlantic Quay, 150 Broomielaw, Glasgow, G2 8LU https://www.sdi.co.uk/help/privacy
- The Scottish Environment Protection Agency is Scotland’s principal environmental regulator, protecting and improving Scotland’s environment and has its headquarters at Strathallan House, Castle Business Park, Stirling, FK9 4TZ https://www.sepa.org.uk/help/privacy-policy/
- Scottish Water is a public corporation created by the Water Industry (Scotland) Act (2002), which provides water and waste water services in Scotland, and Scottish Water Horizons capturing the commercial opportunities of Scottish Water’s assets, and has its headquarters at Castle House, Carnegie Campus, Dunfermline, KY11 8GG https://www.scottishwater.co.uk/legal/personal-data-policy
- The Scottish Funding Council helps to make Scotland the best place in the world to educate, to research and to innovate and has its headquarters at Apex 2, 97 Haymarket Terrace, Edinburgh, EH12 5HD http://www.sfc.ac.uk/about-sfc/how-we-operate/access-information/privacy-notice/privacy.aspx
To provide the best services possible and ensure your enquiry is supported by the relevant HNWIS partners we will share your personal information with HNWIS partners on a needs basis. Links to their privacy policies are provided above. Other supporting partners may also be referred to where we speak with you about it to benefit your enquiry.
We also use suppliers, and will share your personal data with them for the purposes of HNWIS. They have been procured by Scottish Enterprise to develop and/or deliver HNWIS activities on behalf of the HNWIS partners and are under contractual obligation to process your personal information in compliance with Data Protection Laws.
Personal data collected in HNWIS
- Identity Data – Full name, job role/title, job description
- Contact Data – Prefix, email address, phone number, address, website address, company name
- Requirements Data – dietary requirements, accessibility needs
- Profile Data – internet protocol (IP) address, browser type and version, time zone setting and location, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform, other technology on the devices you use to access the website and information about how you use the website
- Usage Data – your preferences, feedback and survey responses
For questions about HNWIS please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0141 2027679
For questions about the privacy notice please contact
Data Protection and Information Governance Officer
50 Waterloo Street
- Email: email@example.com
- 0300 013 3385 (calls charged at local rates)
- 0141 846 0200 from mobile phones or if outside Scotland
Minicom 0800 023 2071 – if you are deaf or hard of hearing (BT helpline 0800 731 1888)
About this Privacy notice
The privacy notice applies when you visit our website, provide any personal information through this website or when we provide services to you (regardless of where you are located). The privacy notice will also tell you about your privacy rights and how the law protects you.
This privacy notice will give you information on how HNWIS partners and our suppliers collect, use, share and look after your personal information as part of HNWIS. Personal information means any information about an individual from which that person can be identified. Anything we do with your personal information (from the point at which we collect it until we delete it from our systems) is called processing.
HNWIS is not intended for children and we do not knowingly collect data relating to children.
It is important that you read this privacy notice together with any other privacy notice or fair processing notice we may provide on specific occasions when we are collecting or processing personal information about you so that you are fully aware of how and why we are using your personal information. This privacy notice supplements the other notices and is not intended to override them.
This notice applies
- When you visit the website www.hnwis.scot
- When you engage with any part of the HNWIS service, including but not limited to, events, webinars, online activities, case studies, surveys, collaborations, partner referrals and support available
- When you contact the HNWIS partners, or any supplier acting on their behalf, by email or phone
How we collect personal information
- Directly from you
- From the company you work for
- From HNWIS partners
- From suppliers engaged on behalf of HNWIS
We will use your personal data within HNWIS
- To make connections amongst the HNWIS partners (and other parties we think may be of interest to you where discussed with you) to enable your company to access the best support and/or enable collaboration
- To provide you with updates/information on HNWIS
- To invite you to events delivered by HNWIS partners and suppliers as part of HNWIS
- To invite you to webinars, podcasts or other online activities delivered by HNWIS partners and suppliers as part of HNWIS
- To manage bookings for HNWIS events, including notifying you of cancellations, alternative events and changes to events
- To develop case studies (where you’re named in these, but we will check these before publication)
- To contact you following any complaints or issues you have raised through the feedback you submitted
- To contact you for feedback about HNWIS activities and/or the website
- To enable HNWIS partners to report on progress, evaluate the impact of HNWIS, showcase best practice and agree direction of future support (where you’re named in these, but we will check these before publication)
Lawful basis for processing personal data
Data Protection law also says that we must have a legal ground to process your personal information. These are known as lawful grounds.
Scottish Enterprise, Scottish Government, Highlands and Islands Enterprise, Scottish Environment Protection Agency and Scottish Funding Council will each individually process personal data in performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of our official authority for the purposes specified in this privacy notice.
Scottish Water will process personal data in accordance with legitimate interests. The processing is necessary to achieve their aims as a member of the HNWIS steering group for the purposes specified in this privacy notice. Scottish Water has considered the use of legitimate interests for this purpose is balanced against the individual’s interests, rights and freedoms.
Consequences of not providing personal information
HNWIS partners require personal information to deliver, manage and monitor services. If you do not accept the use of your personal information for these purposes, we will not be able to provide you with HNWIS services. However, you will still be able to access the website and the information contained within it.
We have put in place appropriate security measures to prevent your personal information from being accidentally lost, used or accessed in an unauthorised way, altered or disclosed. Where we use third party providers we have ensured that they too have such appropriate security measures. In addition, our employees, agents, secondees and suppliers will only process personal information on our instructions and in accordance with this privacy notice.
They are also subject to a duty of confidentiality.
Scottish Development International operates internationally. We may share your personal information with our SDI field offices. In some instances, this may involve transferring your personal data outside the European Economic Area (EEA). We ensure that your personal information is protected by requiring all our SDI offices and staff to follow the same rules when processing your personal information.
To provide the best services possible on an international scale, we may also share your personal information with our third party partners outside the European Economic Area.
Where your personal information is transferred outside the EEA, we ensure a similar degree of protection is afforded to it by ensuring at least one of the following safeguards is implemented:
We will only transfer your personal information to countries that have been deemed to provide adequate level of protection for personal data by the European Commission.
Where we use certain service providers we may use specific contracts approved by the European Commission which give personal information the same protection it has in Europe.
Where we use providers based in the US we may transfer data to them if they are part of the Privacy Shield which requires them to provide similar protection to personal data shared between Europe and the US.
Changes to our privacy notice
This is the current version of our privacy notice. It was last updated on 4 December 2018.
Access to your information – You have the right to request a copy of the personal information about you that HNWIS partners hold in relation to HNWIS activities and interactions.
Correcting your information – HNWIS partners want to make sure that your personal information is accurate, complete and up to date and you may ask HNWIS partners to correct any personal information about you that you believe does not meet these standards. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Deletion of your information – You have the right to ask HNWIS partners to delete personal information about you where:
- You consider that HNWIS partners no longer require the information for the purposes for which it was obtained
- You have validly objected to HNWIS partners’ use of your personal information – see Objecting to how we may use your information below
- HNWIS partners use of your personal information is contrary to law or HNWIS partners other legal obligations.
Objecting to how we may use your information – You have the right at any time to require HNWIS partners to stop using your personal information to keep you informed of HNWIS related activities. In addition, where HNWIS partners use your personal information to perform tasks carried out in the public interest or in exercising official authority vested in it then, if you ask it to, HNWIS partners will stop using that personal information unless there are overriding legitimate grounds to continue.
Restricting how we may use your information – in some cases, you may ask us to restrict how we use your personal information. This right might apply, for example, where we are checking the accuracy of personal information about you that we hold or assessing the validity of any objection you have made to HNWIS partners to use your information. The right might also apply HNWIS partners no longer have a basis for using your personal information but you don’t want HNWIS partners to delete the data. Where this right to validly exercised, HNWIS partners may only use the relevant personal information with your consent, for legal claims or where there are other public interest grounds to do so.
Please send data subject requests to email@example.com. The HNWIS partners have agreed all data subject requests, both verbal or written, will be logged and recorded by SE. SE have processes in place to ensure we respond to a subject access request without undue delay and within one month of receipt. Data subject requests may also be logged by relevant partners in accordance with their standard processes on protecting privacy.
HNWIS partners seek to resolve directly all complaints about how they handle personal information but you also have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office whose contact details are as follows:
Information Commissioner’s Office
Telephone – 0303 123 1113 (local rate) or 01625 545 745
Website – https://ico.org.uk/concern
For the purpose of Data Protection Law, the data controller is SE. Scottish Enterprise has appointed a data protection officer (this is our Data Protection and Information Governance Officer (DPIGO)) who is responsible for overseeing questions in relation to SE and this privacy notice. If you have any questions about the privacy notice, including any requests to exercise your legal rights in respect of your personal information, please contact the DPIGO using the details below.